Feedback

About

Contact(s)

The City of Temiskaming Shores (formerly the Town of Haileybury, New Liskeard and the Township of Dymond), one of the most picturesque and attractive communities in Northern Ontario, Canada, is a recently amalgamated municipality with a population of 11,000, poised to embrace the future. The beauty of Lake Temiskaming, the clean air, our natural features, ideal boating, hiking, skiing, snowmobiling, golfing and numerous other recreational amenities make this an exceptional place to both live and work.

Capsule History of New Liskeard and Dymond Township

Then original inhabitants of Dymond Township and the original site of the Town of New Liskeard were natives of the Algonquin First Nations, specifically the Wabigijic (Wabie) family, whose traditional hunting territory included Dymond Township. However, by the time the first white settlers arrived in 1891, the natives had abandoned the site.

The Town of New Liskeard was located within the boundaries of Dymond Township, and they share a common history. The first settlers were attracted to the rich farm land of the Little Clay Belt agricultural area of northeastern Ontario. The townships at the north end of Lake Temiskaming were surveyed by the Ontario Government in 1887, but were not offered for sale until 1893, when Crown Lands Agent John Armstrong was dispatched to the area. Although there was no rail access until 1904 when the T and NO Railway was built, or road access until much later, settlers poured into the area (most aboard the famous steamboat Meteor) attracted by cheap land. Dymond Township was incorporated in 1901, and two years later, the Town of New Liskeard, which had grown to a population of 150, was incorporated, with John Armstrong as its first mayor.

Dymond Township was primarily an agricultural community, until the 1970s, when a commercial area grew along Highway 11. The Town of New Liskeard, which soon grew to more than 5000 population, became the commercial, industrial, and administrative center for the area. Because of the strong agricultural base, the area's economy has been able to avoid the boom and bust cycle of other northern communities that relied on the mining and forestry industries, and has become the attractive, stable, and vital community that it is today.

Thanks to Bruce Taylor for providing this information.

Brief History of Haileybury

In 1889, Charles Cobbold Farr left his employment with the Hudson Bay Company and moved his family to a clearing along the shore of Lake Temiskaming known as Humphrey's Depot. This spot was also known by its Algonkian name, Matabanick, an ancient native portage whose name roughly translates "place where the trail ends".

C.C. Farr's dream was to establish a community, which he would name Haileybury after the school he attended in England. In 1893 he wrote a pamphlet entitled "The Lake Temiscamingue District" which he distributed in an effort to encourage settlement. Haileybury's early growth was slow, but with the advent of the railway, the discovery of silver in 1903, and the establishment of the Cobalt Mining Camp, Haileybury experienced a population explosion. Haileybury and the Village of North Cobalt (located in Bucke Township) became a "bedroom" community for many of the miners, prospectors, and promoters who worked in Cobalt. Haileybury's Lakeshore Road came to be known as Millionaire's Row in reference to the many mine owners, managers and other professionals who built their majestic homes along Lake Temiskaming's shore.

By 1904 the Town was incorporated and in 1912 Haileybury was declared the Judicial Seat for the District of Temiskaming.

On October 4, 1922 ninety percent of the Town of Haileybury was destroyed during the Great Fire of 1922. Hurricane force winds destroyed the town within 3 to 6 hours. In total, 3,500 people were left homeless at an estimated cost of $2 million and eleven residents lost their lives. The Great Fire of 1922 was one of the ten worst natural disasters in Canadian history. Although Haileybury was the largest community affected, the fire covered an area of 650 square miles destroying small villages and farms throughout South Temiskaming.

Today, Haileybury continues to build on its past role as a bedroom community. An example of this is Bayport Village, a townhouse development overlooking Lake Temiskaming, which was officially opened in 2003. Haileybury also boasts numerous tourism and recreational amenities which have contributed to its success as a Northern Ontario destination.  

Haileybury's recorded history dated from 1889 when its founder Charles Cobbold Farr began his settlement.  

This completely restored streetcar that was part of the relief package sent North following the Great Fire of 1922. Along with medicine, food, clothing, and building supplies, 87 streetcars were sent from Toronto to be used as relief housing for those who had lost their homes in the fire.

The tugboat "Beauchene," comes from the early days of logging and of the many such boats that pulled large booms South to the pulp mills on the Ottawa River.

On October 4, 1922, one of the ten worst disasters in Canadian history swept through the Temiskaming District. A series of brush fires started by homesteaders to the north quickly grew out of control. Soon a raging brush fire, covering 648 square miles, descended on Haileybury. Only the stately homes along "Millionaires' Row" were spared. In Haileybury alone, 90% of the Town was destroyed, leaving 3,500 people homeless and 11 dead, and $2,000,000 in property damage. The day after the fire, it snowed.  

In 1912, the Proclamation declaring Haileybury the District Seat gave rise to such structures as the Court House, Land Titles Office and District Jail. These were testaments to the hard work and dreams of the Town's founder, C.C. Farr. 

The History of Haileybury

1882 - The first steamer, the "Mattawan," appeared on Lake Temiskaming.
1883 - C.C. Farr purchases 30 acres, where the future townsite will be built. 
1889 - C.C. Farr and Family settle at Haileybury. 
1893 - C.C. Farr produces pamphlet entitled "Temiscamingue" to encourage settlers. 
1903 - Silver discovered at Cobalt. 
1904 - Haileybury incorporated as a town. 
1906 - Fire destroys the business section. 
1910 - Nipissing Central Railway began streetcar service. 
1911 - Fire destroys the business section again. 
1912 - July 8, Haileybury is declared the District Town.
1912 - Construction began on the Court House.  Haileybury Mining School started. 
1914 - C.C. Farr dies. 
1922 - Fire destroys 90% of the town on October 4. 
1923 - Ruggles fire pumper arrives. 
1924 - First official Canadian Air-Mail flight. 
1935 - The Nipissing Central Railway ceased all operations. 
1971 - Bucke Twp. and Haileybury amalgamate. 
1983 - Haileybury Fire Museum established. 
1990 - Haileybury Fire Museum acquires 1904 Streetcar. Restoration completed in 1992. 
1992 - H.F.M. honours The 1922 Fire survivors. 
1995 - H.F.M. unveils 1922 Town model. 
1996 - Haileybury Fire Museum renamed Haileybury Heritage Museum. 
1996 - Haileybury Heritage Museum acquires Tugboat "Beauchene."