Feedback

Parks, Recreation & Sport

Contact(s)

Pete's Dam Park

In the spring of 1906, Kalil (Big Pete) Farah embarked upon a project to build a steam power plant that would supply the Town of New Liskeard.  Big Pete bought the power site at Chester Falls from Tom Chester and a dam was built above these falls on the south branch of the Wabi River.  In 1910, Farah sold Pete's Dam and its assets to the Northern Ontario Light and Power Company.  New Liskeard then received its power from the line that linked them to Cobalt, its neighbour to the south.  The exact date the power plant went out of service is unknown, but it is believed that it was in the 1920's.  The northern Ontario Power Company sold its assets to the Hydro Electric Power Commission of Ontario which included Pete's Dam.  In 1981, Dymond Township bought the property and it is now known as Pete's Dam Park.  The little electric plant no longer exists but the beauty of the waterfall and rapids draws many locals and visitors for picnicking and hiking.


 

Devil's Rock (Mani-doo Aja-bikong) Trail

The Devils Rock Trail system is an easy 2 km hike from Highway 567 or a very scenic 3 km climb from Bucke Park (705.672.2611).

After hiking the safe and scenic route, enjoy the 180 degree vista of Lake Temiskaming from atop the towering cliff. Devils Rock is a fault cliff dated to 2.2 billion years. It has a face of 600 feet rising 300 feet above the water level. Interesting features are the scars of mining tunnels chiseled during the silver rush era.


 

South Temiskaming Active Travel Organization (STATO Trail)STATO Trail

The South Temiskaming Active Travel Organization (STATO) was formed as a result of community members' interest in promotion and development of an active participative transportation routes the City of Temiskaming Shores hi-lighting the waterfront.

The purpose of STATO is to develop, manage, preserve and promote a system of integrated, year-round, activity trails in South Temiskaming for non-motorized public use. This would see the development and management of a trail system in Temiskaming Shores connecting Dymond, New Liskeard and Haileybury.

STATO's mission statement is "To develop, manage, preserve and promote a system of integrated, year-round, Active Travels in South Temiskaming for non-motorized public use."

The stated objectives of the organization are to:

a)  Develop and oversee a trail system in Temiskaming Shores connecting Dymond, New Liskeard and Haileybury,

b)  Pursue trails development with a focus on environment sustainability and harmony as well as economic self-sufficiency, and

c) Work in partnership with other communities in South Temiskaming and the surrounding regions for the development of a broad network of integrated an interconnected trails.

For more information, please visit the STATO website at www.stato.ca

Connecting the Community 1 km at a time!

In 2016, the City of Temiskaming Shores received funding in the amount of $150,000 from the Ontario Trillium Foundation and the Government of Ontario to extend the Active Travel System - a multi-use trail system - along Armstrong Street North to the Temiskaming Square.

The completion of this phase has resulted in higher quality infrastructure for non-motorized travel, promoting a healthy and active lifestyle in a safe environment for unstructured and structured physical activity.
The municipality also received funding in the amount of $325,000 from the Ontario Municipal Cycling Infrastructure Fund Program to extend the active travel system into Dymond Township. The extension includes Murray Street, May Street, Hessle Street, Wilson Avenue, Grant Drive, Drive-In Theatre Road and Laurette Street. In early 2017 the municipality will complete the project with an off-road active travel system located on the north side of Highway 65E and across the newly purchased land behind the Temiskaming Square to Grant Drive.

The majority of the project will be completed with a few short sections in the south end from City Hall to Rotary Farr Park to be completed.